Friday, January 23, 2009

Mitchell Hedges Crystal Skull

Last night I attended a function at the Boynton Beach Women's Club where they hosted the Mitchell-Hedges Crystal Skull.If you aren't familiar with the skull it is a clear quartz crystal sculpture the size and shape of a human skull estimated to be as much as 120 centuries old. Known as the Mitchell-Hedges Skull, after the name of its discoverer, it is an object of fantastic sculptural perfection. No other quartz crystal sculpture approaches its quality; even the British Museum’s crystal skull, discovered in Mexico in 1889, is classed as a “rough cut” in comparison.(I got to see the British Museum skull last summer.) This skull was so clear and I was amazed to see the jaw is hinged.

Jody did the sound for the event so I got to slip onto stage and get a picture with the skull. I was sort of afraid to get too close. Can you imagine bumping the table and knocking it over? I could, which is why I am so far away from the table.

The highlight of the night had to be when the man who owns the skull arrived. I was checking people in at the door and he gave me his name, and it wasn't on the list. He said "they called me and asked me to come". I said they called you and your name isn't on the list? Then I noticed he was carrying a big silver box with a huge padlock. Oops! Yes, sir right this way!

You can see my friend Margaret in the background of this picture. She is the owner of the Crystal Garden and a lovely person (she hosted the event). Big thanks to Margaret.

No comments: